The West Buxton Public Library is supported by the taxpayers of the Town of Buxton and they have the right to expect that the library be clean, pleasant and safe. The library is open to the public for the purpose of reading, studying, researching and quiet use of library materials, facilities and equipment. Unfortunately, the behavior of a few library visitors may destroy this environment. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it infringes on the rights of others, when it could result in injury to oneself or others or when it could result in loss or damage to patron or library property.
Examples of unacceptable library behavior may include but are not limited to:
- Absence of shoes or shirt
- Abuse/misuse/vandalization of library facilities, materials or equipment
- Any unlawful behavior and any other behavior that unreasonably interferes with the safe or reasonable use of the library by other patrons
- Body odor/perfume/cologne (excessive) which elicits general complaint or causes discomfort to other library users
- Disciplining children in a manner which disrupts use of the library by others
- Excessive public displays of affection
- Leaving young children five and under unsupervised
- Leaving young children six to 12 years unsupervised unless in a library program
- Loitering including refusal to leave at closing
- No animals of any kind are allowed in the library during open public hours, other than properly identified service animals
- Noisy behavior, including whistling, loud boisterous talking, and disruptive use of cellular phones
- Obscene or abusive language
- Physical, sexual or verbal abuse or harassment of library users or staff
- Possession, sale, or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances on library property
- Refusal to show ID or submit possessions for inspection to library staff upon request
- Skating, including use of skates, skateboards, inline skates and scooters
- Smoking or use of tobacco in any form
- Soliciting – see solicitation policy
- Theft – library’s property or patron’s property
- Use of personal stereos or headphones audibly
- Violate posted computer usage rules
The following may not be brought into the library:
Engagement in any of the above behavior may subject the individual/s involved to exclusion from library premises and in some cases, to legal prosecution or other legal action. The library staff will enforce this code in a courteous but firm manner to preserve library materials and facilities from harm.
If a mistake is made, it should be in the patron’s favor unless history has shown otherwise.
Suspension of library privileges for a determinate or indeterminate period of time may occur if a patron is found to have engaged in unacceptable behavior on library property.
Improper or illegal behavior in the library and on the library grounds is prohibited. If a patron is engaged in such behavior, the patron will be asked to leave. The Police may be called. The patron may be prosecuted.
Safety at the library is important. If problems arise, please go to staff for assistance.
An Incident Report must be completed by any staff member involved with patrons who, because of the severity of their infraction of the above rules, have been asked to leave the building. See Incident Report Form.