The West Buxton Public Library welcomes children to use its facilities and services. However, the responsibility for the care, safety, and behavior of children using the library rests with the parent/guardian or care giver. A care giver must be at least 16 years of age.Library staff members have many duties and cannot supervise children nor act as a substitute for daycare.Children six through 12 must have a parent present unless they are participating in a library program. Parents or care givers for those ages five or under who do not attend the program with the child shall remain in the building. Parents are always responsible for the actions of their children.
Children 12 to 16 – May be left unattended for a period of time not to exceed two hours to complete homework assignments or special projects.
Children using inappropriate behavior will be informed of the rules. If inappropriate behavior continues, the child shall be asked to leave the library. If a child in this age group is unaccompanied by an adult or appropriate-aged care giver, the staff will follow the directions below for children found on library premises without a parent or care giver. All children should have the telephone number of someone who can assist them in an emergency. The library staff may not take responsibility for the care of a child of any age.
If a child is found without a parent or care giver, the staff will:
- Attempt to comfort the child, if necessary
- Locate the parent or care giver in the library and explain the Child Safety Policy
- Make every effort to contact the parent or care giver who is not in the library to come and pick up the child. Staff will express the library’s concern for the child’s safety and explain the Child Safety Policy
- Call the Buxton Police to pick up the child, if the parent or care giver cannot be located within 30 minutes. Staff will notify the library director that police have been called.
- Encourage an unattended child to contact the parent or guardian if it is within 15 minutes of closing time. If a parent or care giver cannot be reached or does not arrive within 15 minutes of closing, library staff will call the Buxton Police to pick up the child. Staff will notify the library director that police have been called. Leave a note on the library door stating ‘Unattended child is in the custody of the Buxton Police, 185 Portland Road, Buxton, 929-5151,’ once the child is in the care of the police.
- As stated in the Computer/Internet Usage Policy, any child 18 years and under must have a parent sign an Internet Usage Agreement Form. Children 12 years and under must have a parent with them while on the internet.
- Names will not be stated on the sign! (Copy of the sign is in the policy notebook)
- Not transport any child from the library to another location!